Saturday, April 16, 2011



This is part of my new series. They are Cairns, I have been hiking in the back country for about 40 years, and have relayed an cairns to get me from one trail to another. The first one of these I made reminded me of when I was back packing  on the Na Pali Cost in Kauai. I hiked in for two days to Kalalau Beach and had two days on the beach. On the rocky part of the beach people had been standing stones. What this is, you take a large stone and stand it up, then set another on edge on top, then another. The point is not the speed at which you stand your stones or how big it is. It is to make look like it is defying gravity. Remember to breath and relax.

This cairn is six and a half feet tall, it is made up of 32 pieces and has been pit fired. It's laid out from top left to bottom right. If any one has a idea on how to photograph it standing up let me know the biggest piece is ten inches.

Cairns are small piles of stones that indicate a trail, the piles are with in sight of each other. A cairn indicate the trail that you heard about that leaves this trail at the second tree near the stream and goes over the ridge near where it hits the tree line and comes out in the next valley. Connecting you to the other trail saving you a half day. Just follow the cairns.

No comments:

Post a Comment