Sunday, April 10, 2011

Second Saturday Raku

Michelle and I fired about ten loads thru three Raku kilns. There were so great pieces.
There where two boys in the studio, Zak and a student son. I asked them if they would like to do horse hair pot. I don’t think I have ever gotten a no from boy when you ask them do you to play with fire. So I did a demo for the studio.
Horse Hair pots are not hard, the secret is have every thing laid out in advanced.
A turn table
Three to four piece of long Horse Hair
I use cotton gloves (They give me some protection from the heat and I can feel the horse hair)
Heat the pot to 1300 F, hold that temperature for five minutes
Pull the pot put it on the turn table (at 800 degrees the hair will no longer stick about one minute from now)
Paint the pot with horse hair
Let the pot cool

The boys did a great job, two great looking pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment