Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pit Fire this Saturday







 I started loading the pit on Thursday. It was a free firing; I had about twenty pieces I asked for forty more from the artist at the studio. The final count should be around one hundred, the pieces kept on coming until nine am Saturday morning. This load was tumble stacked with wood chips put between each layer. On top each layer I used Copper Carbonate, Copper Sulfide, Red Iron oxide, Black Iron Oxide and organics (coffee and banana peal). At nine we added a layer of Mesquite tree trimmings, then scrap wood. At four in the afternoon I lit the pit with a weed burner; at five we added five pallets. I left the studio at eight the pit was still burning. There was just a glimpse of some of the pieces showing thru the ashes, we will have some great colors. We unload Monday late. Thank you every one for your help. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment